Sunday, April 1, 2007

Unblocked Lace

Swallowtail Shawl before blocking.

Pattern: Interweave Knits, Fall 2006, by Evelyn A. Clark
Yarn: School Product's Handdyed Laceweight Merino, less than 1 skein (about 400 yards) in beautiful variations of sage
Needles: Inox 4s from Halcyon Yarn
Begun and completed in March, 2007.

Detail of the lily of the valley border pattern (with nupps).

I've also been busy on the train. The weather has warmed up and look what I've been doing:

The first Endpaper Mitt from Eunny! It's knit in Dale Baby Ull from Kool Knits in Naperville, Illinois. I did make some modifications on this one -- I didn't use the Italian tubular cast-on because I became impatient. I also increased more rapidly (every 2 rows instead of every 3) for the thumb gusset. I haven't cast on for the second one yet, but can't wait.
And next to it you can see the sleeves for the Central Park Hoodie. It's a bit lighter in real life than in the picture. I've figured out how to edit my photos for quality, so the rest of the colors are close to where they should be.
I just discovered while I was looking up the link to Kool Knits that the store has closed. What a shame. It had such a great selection of yarns -- from novelty to the classics. They do still have an ebay store up, which I'm going to check out as soon as I'm done with this. I'm shocked that they have closed. I know yarn shops have lots of competition with all the websites, but I've seen them advertised in all the magazines recently, so I assumed they were still healthily in business. I'm sad to see them go. I might make a visit to my local yarn shop today to do my part to keep them open.
I'm off to block Swallowtail.

No comments: