Monday, January 1, 2007

Wrapping up 2006

My trip home for the holidays was eventful. I did a little bit of knitting:







I finished Grandma's Bog Jacket! Sorry about the bad picture quality. I didn't realize all my pictures were until I came back home. The sweater was still with Grandma, and I really wanted to post about this.


Elizabeth Zimmermann's Bog Jacket from Knitting Around. I finished seaming the sweater together about 10 minutes and still managed to wrap it before we opened the last of our Christmas presents. My grandmother loved it, and I don't think she minded that I took it back to add on an i-cord border in navy and blocked it. The blocking really made a difference in this one! I did all of the modifications to this pattern except for the afterthought pocket, and was very happy with all of them. I plan on making another one of these for myself someday, and will plan on putting the shoulder "seams" closer together on that one. It'll be a while before Bog #2 -- all that garter stitch became pretty tedious!


Here's a detail of the shoulder shaping and the I-cord.


Yarn: Elann Peruvian Highland Wool
Knit on Addi #7s





As for the other major project of 2006 --

Do you see that in the background? No, not the two little dogs who pop up in the background of my pictures, that thing in front of the window. This:

This summer, my mom and I took a weaving class at Genesee Country Museum. We loved it right away, and were able to complete a lot of projects just in the week of the class. We started dreaming about having a loom during the class, and then I found a Leclerc at the Spinners' & Weavers' Housecleaning Pages that was dirt cheap. I went out to Long Island to get it, brought it up to Rochester from Long Island in pieces. A lot of pieces. It lives with my mom, and each time I've been home, I have wanted to put it together. On Christmas Eve we started, and I began winding my warp on Christmas Day. The only thing missing was the back apron, and we managed to piece one together. A few trips to Lowe's and lots of assistance later, and we got the loom warped. It does need some more tweaking, but I managed to weave a sample with what we had! Look!




Warp: Cotton Carpet Warp set at 12 ends per inch (2 feet).

Weft: Sugar 'n Cream cotton in variegated blues.

Threading: 1-2-3-4 repeat, direct tie-up.

I experimented with the different treadling to see the effects I could get. I really like the herringbone tweed that is at the front of the loom, although you can't really see it in this picture. Not much knitting will happen on my trips home from now on!

2 comments:

knitting elephant said...

I love the Bog Jacket!! Would you mind telling me how big it was and how much of the Elann yarn it took to make? I see at least one of these in my future, but I don't want to run out of yarn! Thanks, Stacee (http://sweetknitting.blogspot.com)

knitting elephant said...

Thanks for leaving the info on my blog about your bog! I hate to bother you again, but approx what chest measurement did you end up with for the number of yards you used?

Also, where in Chicagoland do you live? I'm in the far west suburbs and noticed your remarks about Kool Knits. I'm guessing we're not too far apart!! :-)